Thursday, July 3, 2008

Making Money versus Making Art

Lately, I find myself in a situation that has had a very definite impact upon my art. The struggling economy has really been very tough on me. My husband, being in the mortgage business, has been especially hard hit. Every month we watch the real estate market decline as lenders refuse to lend money because of an uncertain economy. The business continues to change and some of the loans my husband use to handle, non-conforming loans, have dissappeared. And although some very good things have happened to help us survive the changes in the market, it has also caused some very hard and uncertain times. I have found myself becoming so distracted by it, that I can barely concentrate on doing any artwork. Lately, I have become consumed with thinking up ways to make more money. Thinking of more art shows, a garage sale, etc. All things that promote and make money, but do not give me time to create art. And that is my dilemna. Right now I feel pressured to make money, which leaves little to no time to create art. In the next few weeks I doubt that I will have much time for serious personal art projects because I have an art show on July 12th and I have decided to have my garage sale on July 19th.

No comments: