Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Elephant Art, Vocational Rehab, and Surviving the Depression of 2008


I recently finished a piece that I had about 90% completed, then got stuck and set it aside. I'm not sure what the exact title is going to be, but for now I will call it "Elephants" (posted above). This is my first elephant theme art that I have done in color. I really like the way it turned out.

Things have been in a bit of a "crisis" mode this week. I'm afraid the Depression of 2008 is hitting everyone, including the company I do independent contracting maintenance work for. They are struggling to survive this recession/depression and just cut my pay and my hours. The problem is I can't really afford a cut in pay right now, so I am looking for another job. Working just four hours a week is just NOT helping to pay the bills.

I have decided to change my direction a bit. I am trying to get into a government-run Vocational Rehab Program, so I can get funds to go back to college and get my bachelor's degree and become a certified art teacher. A friend of mine is doing this exact thing and told me who to contact. I have left about three messages with the person in charge of this program, but she will not be back in town until next week. I hope I qualify to get into this program. It would be a HUGE improvement in the quality of my life and it would allow me to be able to make a fairly good living doing what I love the most--creating art! The minute I learn if I qualify and am accepted into this program, I will post this news on my blogsite. Cross your fingers, folks!

No comments: