Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Art Therapy and Another Painting From The Leavenworth, Washington Series


I decided that I needed to work on some art projects just for the sake of my own therapy and not because I am completing a commission or building up art inventory. Creating art can be very calming and centering and that is what I have needed this week--something to calm my nerves as I try to contemplate how to handle my current state of poverty and career struggles and my husband's lack of business as a mortgage broker. So instead of being mad at the economy and sticking my head out the window screaming, "I'm mad as hell and I'm NOT going to take it anymore!" I decided to go back to working on my series of Leavenworth, Washington paintings. I had been "stuck" on a certain area of this one painting I was doing, probably due to stress, and couldn't seem to get past it. Then I decided to use acrylic paint spattering instead of colored pencil and that seemed to work for me. Anyway, I have finally completed another in the Leavenworth, Washington series. It is presently untitled and is shown above. This is actually the view from the balcony of my sister-in-law's back yard. My sister-in-law, Chris, lives in Plains, Washington which is 20 miles outside of Leavenworth.

I have also been preparing for the workshop I will be teaching this Saturday on colored pencil & turpenoid. It will be at the Vineyard Church, July 26 from 2-4 p.m. Although the timing for having this workshop is not so good, I have had fun preparing the lessons for it.

No comments: