Thursday, October 30, 2008

Update on Going Back to College

I thought I would post an update about my journey towards going back to school (Boise State University) to get my bachelor's degree and applying for funds through Vocational Rehabilitation.

I have applied for admission to BSU and my transcripts from other colleges are in the process of being mailed to them. I have a student ID number, which is cool. After my transcripts/records have been transferred, I need to find out what my plan of education will be. I have no idea what classes I need to take to complete my degree.

After several cancellations due (Vocational Rehab's fault, not mine), I finally had my first VR appointment on October 27th. They are going to set me up with some doctor appointments. This is necessary to qualify me for rehab funds. My next appointment is December 17th. By then, they will have an idea of when I can expect some funding. My rehab counselor said that they can't guarantee that the funding will come by January 2009, when I want to enter school, but they will try. I have decided that whether I get the funding or not by the time I need it, I will go anyway--even if I can only afford to take one or two classes.

My counselor said that Vocation Rehab has more clients then they can handle and the government won't authorize funds to hire more rehab workers. So that causes a backlog of delays and red tape. It has been my experience that whenever the government is involved you can expect delays, red tape, and lousy management. I just have to be patient I guess--and pray a lot!

1 comment:

Edward Ott said...

I love your christmas card design that is adorable.