Sunday, October 12, 2008

Starting a New Art Piece--Leopard In a Tree

I have decided that I want to re-do my Leavenworth collage (see previous blog entry) and do it in a slightly different style. I think my version looks too much like a poster. I have an artist friend of mine (Lisa Marten) who does really cool collages with oil sticks and acrylic paint and I would like to try that. I will have to get her to give me a lesson.

Now that I have a more physically demanding part-time job at the Boise School District, I am pooped by the time Saturday comes. There is rarely anytime during the week for creating art. However, this weekend, I did start a new colored pencil & turpenoid piece of a leopard in a tree. This will probably take at least a month for me to finish because it is about 15 X 22 in size. This subject appealed to me because I have never done a leopard and the spotted pattern will be different from anything I've done before. Any animal with a pattern like that is challenging to do because it is easier to stylize it as a graphic design piece but more challenging to use a realistic style instead, which is what I want to do.

No comments: