Saturday, October 4, 2008

Leavenworth, Washington Collage



Today I decided to give myself an art day. Well, maybe not the whole day, but at least half the day was devoted to art. I did something different from what I usually do. I did a collage of Leavenworth, Washington. This is another art piece in a series that I am doing about my trip to Leavenworth last year. The entire piece is 14 X 18 and is too big for my scanner, so I have posted portions of it (above). This is a mixed media piece using watercolor, colored pencil and some acylic craft paint. Most all of the artwork on this is actually from Leavenworth and can be found on the buildings themselves. I took some of my favorite art from the signs, calligraphy, and wall murals and put them all together in a collage. I also included some quotes from a book I bought on Leavenworth that describes how it was created and documents the progress from start to finish. Leavenworth inspires me because it was a town that was dying when some people with a dream and not very much money decided to take a leap of faith and revive it, thus turning it into a beautiful Bavarian theme town that has become a very popular tourist attraction. It truly is a miracle town and proves that miracles do still happen.

No comments: