Sunday, August 31, 2008

My Mad Max World


Saturday I worked mostly on a poem illustration that I plan to enter into the next Vine Arts Gallery Exhibit coming up this month. The theme of this exhibit is called Re:Form and is based on the concepts outlined in Pastor Tri Robinson's book called Big Handprint....Small Footprint. Re:Form, it in a nutshell, it is about doing what we feel God has called us to do to make a difference in the world and doing what we can to get rid of certain complexities in our lives that have prevented us from achieving these goals.

Posted above is the final product of what I came up with for this exhibit. The poem at the bottom of this illustration are actually the words from a Tina Turner song called We Don't Need Another Hero, which is the theme song to a Mad Max Movie called, Thunderdome." I just changed a few words around to that instead of saying "...all we want is what we are" I changed it to say, "....all we want is to be what God called us to be."
I didn't have time to create an entire new piece of art in my usual realistic colored pencil & turpenoid style, so I switched to a more graphic art style. I used some metallic and glitter acrylic paints that I already had on hand, which made it nice because I didn't have to go out and buy supplies.

The words of this song are concepts that I have been thinking about a lot, especially this year. With the terrible economy affecting so many people right now, the elections coming, and the housing market crashing and turning into a depression, I have been really thinking about and working on making some serious changes in my life. Sometimes I feel like I am living in one of those "Mad Max" movies! The words of the following poem are typed on the piece of art posted above:

Out of the ruins, out from the ragged edge,
Can't make the same mistake this time,
We are the children....we are the ones they left behind.
And I wonder when we are ever going to change things?
Living under the fear until nothing else remains.
We don't need another hero.
We don't need to know the way home.
All we want is to be what God called us to be.
Looking for something that we can rely on.
There's got to be something better out there.
Love and compassion---that day is coming.
All else are castles built in the air.
And I wonder when we are ever going to change things?
Living under the fear until nothing else remains.
So what do we do with our lives?
Will our story shine like a light....or end in the dirt?

No comments: