Saturday, May 9, 2009

Draw Like An Egyptian



My Art Methods Class at BSU is over. I'm kind of sad to see it go. I really enjoyed getting acquainted with my classmates. There will be other classes I have yet to take with this same teacher, so I am looking forward to that.

Last Thursday, I presented an art lesson to the BSU 322 Art Methods Class. This was something everyone had to do and it took the place of a final exam. I wasn't nearly as nervous as I thought I'd be. I know everyone in class, so no one was a stranger. That helped a lot!

My lesson was on Egyptian art and was called "Draw Like An Egyptian". I have a fascination for Egyptian art and history. (I'm a big fan of movies like The Mummy and Stargate.) I brought a CD player and played that song by the Bangles, "Walk Like An Egyptian". That was a big hit with everyone. Later on in the class I asked if they would like to hear that song again and they all said "Yes!"

I have posted above a picture of the project that I taught in class. I had a really cool Egyptian coloring book that used actual designs found in the tombs of Egypt. I photocopied several pages for everyone so they could use these. They were to take one of these designs and a piece of tracing paper and some drawing paper. Then I taught them how to use graphite pencil to create a drawing that you could transfer onto white drawing paper. Then you go over it with permanent marker and color it in with colored pencil, or colored markers, or you can use watercolor pencils. I also introduced to the class my method of using turpenoid with colored pencils to create a "painted" effect. The last step was to use Egyptian Hyroglyphics to write your own name on the drawing. I had a sheet of paper that translated our alphabet into the matching Eygptian Hyroglyphic symbol. I used a really cool stamp pad kit that my teacher let me use for this lesson. The hyroglyphics you see on my drawing is actually my first name, "Bev" in "Egyptian".

I had SO much fun teaching this class and I felt like a REAL teacher! Now the trick is find a way to actually get paid to do this! This was a special moment for me because I got to taste what it would be like to actually be a teacher in a school environment. And I have to say, I'm hooked!

No comments: