Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Marketing Can Be Challenging

I decided to try and "bribe" some people into placing an order with me for a portrait. I have about 5 people from past art shows who said they would be interested in getting a portrait done of a family member or pet and so far, no one has actually followed through by giving me a photo. I find this very, very frustrating. So I am offering a free print of my art if they place an order by June of this year. I hope this helps bring in some business.

I have two new art students. One took her first lesson Monday and one will start Saturday. But where are all the other folks who want to take art lessons? I need to hear from you!

I am looking into ways to expand my art business and get more sales. I went to a meeting Monday (yesterday) for any vendors & artisans who were interested in selling their wares at the Capital City Public Market that takes place every Saturday from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in downtown Boise. It starts in April and ends in October. It seemed like a good idea until they mentioned that as of last year, all vendors have to have a special kind of insurance. They didn't say what kind of insurance either. I heard that this insurance would cost at least $250 to $300 for 1 year. I could probably do this if I wasn't already struggling with financial obstacles and if my husband wasn't in the mortgage broker business which isn't doing so well right now. I can see that insurance might be necessary for a food vendor, but I don't see why it is so necessary for an art vendor. I have existed ten years without it and never needed it. It seems that as Boise gets bigger, more g0vernment red tape like special insurance seems to get in the way of small business owners trying to keep overhead down. As if special insurance wasn't enough of a costly overhead, you also have to pay a $75 to $100 membership fee to participate in this public market. (Sigh) I have to reconsider this route of marketing. It may be more money than I can invest right now.

No comments: