Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Plein Aire Painting With Oils

Tuesday I had my first experience doing Plein Aire Painting in oils. I've done this with other media, but not with oils. It happened to be a rather nice afternoon on the BSU campus, so our teacher decided it was the perfect time to go outside and paint the scenery. The trees on campus are beautiful right now because the leaves have turned various shades of yellow, orange, and red, so that is what I decided to paint. Just for fun I put in a tiny little squirrel on top of a trash can just to give a narrative to the painting. Everyone else packed up and left around 4:00 p.m., but I stayed until 6:00 p.m. By then I was getting too cold anyway, so I took my little 6 X 9 size painting home and finished it there. I can not crank out a finished painting in just two hours.

I would post the finished piece here, but it is still wet and I can't put it on my scanner right now. Very messy. Oils take forever to dry. You'll just have to take my word for it that it came out very nice. I was pleased with the results.

No comments: