Sunday, August 22, 2010

A Day at the Fair

Today I went to the Idaho State Fair with my husband. Since we are not actually going on a vacation this year, this day at the fair was our vacation! So we splurged a bit and ate some wonderful, delicious & fattening 'Fair' food. And since my birthday is next month, I even bought myself a special birthday present from one of the Fair vendors--a beautiful blouse.

I did not win anything in the juried art show, but I was not expecting to, so I really wasn't disappointed. I entered my Beauty & The Beast portrait, "Sweetest Song" and my portrait of the mother elephant with her newborn, "Elephant Walk." I knew that I wouldn't get anything for the Beauty & The Beast portrait because the judges were both men and men hate Beauty and the Beast. B&TB is a woman's story that most men don't relate to it. I have no explanation for why I didn't win anything for the Elephants. One reason I think I didn't win anything is that the art judges the fair picks usually hate anything that is "cute" or sentimental, no matter how good it might be executed. And both of my pieces were just that--cute and/or sentimental. They usually want something different, something wierd or abstract. Of course this is not always the case, but after seeing what pieces of art won and did not win, I could see a bit of this pattern. But you know what? I entered those pieces because they meant something special to me and because I really liked them and not so much because I wanted to win something.

The highlight of my little mini vacation at the fair was that I got to pet a baby wallabee. That was cool! Didn't know they had such soft fur.

No comments: