Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Sketchbook Drawings

My Teapot Elephant being swallowed up by the driftwood monster!

The Stone Garden by the Historical Museum

A portrait of Vincent from Beauty & The Beast


A Peasant I did from a book on pen & ink drawings by Alan E. Cober

I thought I would post some of the drawings from the class I've been taking at BSU (Drawing 212). These are from my sketchbook. The teacher is having us do only black and white drawings using different media such as charcoal, pen, and ink wash with brush. This class is stretching me a bit because one of the rules for our sketchbook is we can't erase. And I rarely use pen or ink because I prefer graphite pencil. But I am learning some techniques using pen and ink that I didn't know before. I am learning how to create nicely done drawings very quickly without erasing and that feels very good because I tend to be a slow artist. I can spend months on just one piece.

We are currently working on a project that involves using a photo of any environment (inside or outside) and then placing an object like an ink bottle, keys, or a teapot in that environment using mostly black and white with only a smidge of color. My drawing will be from a photo I took at Morrison Park. The object I chose that will be placed in this environment is going to be a teapot, but not just any teapot! It is a character I created that is part teapot and part elephant. I will post the final drawing next week. It's due this coming Monday.

No comments: