Sunday, June 27, 2010

Eagle Art Show a Bust

This weekend I tried to sell my art at the Eagle Art Faire. It was a bomb! It was a HUGE amount of work with very little results. I had four sales. Hardly anyone came out so there was very little customer foot traffic. It was advertised as being "at the river" but it was not. If I had known it was going to be this bad, I would not have done this show. However, I did make some really good contacts, which MIGHT make it all worth it. I made a connection with Arts West about possibly becoming an art teacher there. There are opportunities to teach even if you don't have your BA degree. I also did some trades with other vendors so no monies were exchanged. This also helped to make it all worthwhile. If I get a portrait commission from this show, then I will feel I got my money's worth.

On Friday it was horribly humid while I was setting up for this show. It made me feel sick for awhile. I had to go home and change clothing. Thank God my husband was there to help me set with the set-up. Then on the way over to the show, I was in a fender-bender! Fortunately, no one was hurt and my car wasn't damaged at all. There was very minor damage to the other car. The encounter was less than pleasant, however. The other person involved in the accident was a real jerk.

As if battling a mean-spirited driver was not enough, I also had to battle weather problems at this show. A very scarey wind gust (50-60 MPH winds) blew through the art show on Friday and did damage to many of the booths. Fortunately, it did not damage my booth.

I enjoyed talking to fellow artists, especially Venture Coy and Joyce Green. I met some great people to, and in spite of the obstacles, I did have some measure of fun. However, I don't think I will be doing this show next year though. It was just too much pain and not enough gain!

No comments: