Thursday, March 4, 2010

Spreadsheets

My version of Rock Art--A "Stone Critter" Isn't he cute?

This is another blog entry that is part of my Ed Tech Class homework. I am evaluating a spreadsheet lesson plan called "Sacred Art" that I found on the Building Bridges with Technology web site.


Description of Project: This evaluation was divided into six categories: Activity Description, Learning Issues, Resource Management, Materials, Assessment & Other. It included the following:


  • A study of Tibetan Buddhist Monks and sacred sand Mandala art. This study included watching a PowerPoint Presentation, study questions to answer, and an opportunity to actually observe some Buddhist Monks creating a Mandala.

  • Taking a look at Navajo Sand Paintings which have interesting parallels with Tibetan Mandalas

  • Students use Internet to find examples of Navajo Rock Art and also take a look at the rock art of southern Idaho.

  • Students create their own rock art then they make their own PowerPoint presentation on rock art.

This presentation was for 9th graders, which is the same grade level (9-12 grade) that I would use it for. I was intrigued by this lesson because it had to do with rock art. I am a rock animal artist and thought it would be fun to use this lesson to teach my version of rock animal painting.

I would change this lesson just a little. I wouldn't include the Buddhist Monk Mandalas or Navajo Sand paints, but would focus mostly on the rock art of the Native American Indians, including their cultural beliefs about spirit animals, and the rock art from India. I might not have as many activities as the original presentation did, which was about 20 hours long. But I would include things like actual hands-on rock art painting, class written assignments, maybe some Internet and PowerPoint projects too. It would be cool to include a museum field trip.

No comments: