Sunday, September 20, 2009

Gallery Hopping in McCall

Stone Art that I bought in McCall



I just got home from my vacation which was a weekend at McCall, Idaho. It was wonderful! I have posted a photo of McCall (above). I stayed at the Holiday Inn Hunts Lodge, which was an awesome hotel that served a full breakfast, had wonder little extras like an indoor pool and fitness center.


McCall has several art galleries and of course, I had to go to as many of them as I could. I went to the Artizen Gallery, Mustache Flats Gallery Outlet, and the Mountain House Gallery. I saw some really interesting art. The Artizen Gallery takes art on consignment in the Spring and Summer, so I may try and sell my art there next year. Some unusual art that I saw at these galleries: a coffee table made out of parts from cars, a Caterpillar tractor, and a Harley Davison Motorcycle, Butterfly art made from real butterflies, unusual & beautiful photo digital impressionistic art, Encaustic art made from colored wax, and some very unusual metal sculpture art. I got to talk to some of the artists that made the art and that was really fun. When two artists get together, there is an instant bond that happens and I love to talk about art to anyone who will listen and not get bored! I took pictures and made sketches of some of the art I liked and as soon as I get my film developed, I will post some of it on this blog site.


We also went for a drive and did some walking around McCall's Payette Lake. We went to Ponderosa State Park and viewed the lake from a cliff. The view was breathtakingly beautiful! It was what I call, "God's Artwork." I did a sketch of part of the lake and my husband and I had lunch by the lake. It was great to be able to do some plein aire sketching in such a gorgeous setting. It was so beautiful, I didn't want to leave!
I spent several hours looking through all the stores and gift shops in McCall. My favorite one was the Granite Mountain Nature Gallery. This is a gift store that sells mostly rocks and gems and anything else that can be make from rocks. It also sells fossils and butterfly art made from real butterflies. I am a rock hound and I have a love for any type of art that is made by nature, so this store was perfect for me! They had quite a collection of rocks and unusual items. There isn't anything like it in Boise. I posted a photo (above) of the "rock art" that I bought. The top piece is an amethyst stone necklace pendant, and the item below it is a round box made from rock (marble or granite, I think) with a pearl or mother of pearl laid-in design.
I had SO much fun that I am going to have to make several other blog entries to describe it all.

No comments: