Sunday, November 23, 2008

Vocational Rehab Art Show & Floating Gallery

In December I am going to be exhibiting my artwork at a downtown Boise coffee shop called Dawson's Downtown. This is an art show that will include about six artists from Vocational Rehabilitation that have various disabilities, and who are either professional or amateur artists. My disability hasn't been officially declared yet. It may be connected to my chiropractic problem or it may be connected to the chemical imbalance I was diagnosed with in 1991 that can trigger depression. (A condition that runs in my family.) My rehab counselor, Debbie, started this project along with the owner of the coffee shop. Debbie hopes to turn this into a floating gallery that exhibits in various places all over the Boise, Idaho area. I think this is a great idea and hopefully there will be plenty of other future shows. Debbie and the owner of the coffee shop, along with all of the artists who are participating in this show, had a meeting at the coffee shop last monday to plan the show. I am going to help with the preparations for this show doing things like printing title cards on my computer to use for the individual pieces of art exhibited. This floating gallery doesn't have a name yet, but one idea was to call it "disABLED artists." I will probably have about 5-9 pieces of art there. Set up day is December 1st.

There has been very little time to work on any new art projects. I went to the printers this week and got my Christmas card art piece turned into small note card size prints so I can paste them onto my cards. I have most of the stuff I need for my cards, except envelopes. The inside verse and any other text for my cards are run off on the computer/printer and then I do cut and paste for the rest.

I had an invitation to help with painting a mural this weekend that was being done at the Vineyard and I really wanted to help, but my back and neck muscles were so sore from custodian duties this past week I did not go. I decided I just wanted to give my back and shoulder muscles a rest this weekend.

No comments: