Saturday, November 15, 2008

Getting An Early Start On Christmas--A Handmade Photo Album


Because I am on a very limited budget this Christmas, I am going to either make gifts for people or give them special baked goodies. So this week I have been working on a different type of art project. I have been making a handmade photo album/scrapbook to give as a Christmas gift. (See above photo.) It is for a specific person and is going to be filled with photos of this person's pets. Several years ago I bought a book called 'Making Books By Hand' by Mary McCarthy and Phillip Manna. I also used this book to make my 'Measure of Man' poetry book. I found the directions in this book helpful but a bit confusing and not really complete. I had to fill in the gaps and invent a lot of steps that they did not explain. But it gave me enough of an idea of how to made books that I can figure the rest out myself. I find that I enjoy making books by hand because I can design them any way I want. I use specialty paper with all types of designs and sometimes I also use fabric. I think it turned out looking very professional and it was lots of fun to make.

No comments: