Saturday, March 22, 2008

A New Cat Portrait Order is Underway!

Today I had a visit from a lady who stopped by my booth at the Cat Show last weekend. She bought a print of mine of a lioness with her cub ("Still Waters") and she put a down payment on a colored pencil portrait order that I will be doing of her cats. (Yay! I am a happy camper!) I will be doing a portrait of two cats--a multi-colored cat with patches of gray, black & white (Sienna), and an orange and white Cornish Rex cat (Vevay). She has been taking photos of her cats with her digital camera. So I went over them with her to choose which ones would be used in the portrait. We found a good one for the multi-colored cat, but didn't find a usable one for the Cornish Rex cat. So she will be taking more photos this week and we will get together again next weekend.

An interesting thing I learned is this lady is also an artist and she has a part-time business doing murals for people. I am doing a mural right now (every Monday) for a hair salon (Bequa's in Boise. I just started getting into murals about a year ago when I did my first mural project for the Vineyard's Garden O'Feedin' Program. I have been sort of apprenticing with some other mural artists at church, who have been showing me some of the tricks of the trade. I find it very interesting. I may even consider including it as part of my "Chick Artistic Creations" business. What I have been learning about painting murals is that you can't spend as much time on it as I spend creating my super-realistic animals and landscape paintings. Murals need to be created in a more impressionistic and semi-realistic way. If you did an entire wall in the same intense realistic style that I do my animal and landscape paintings, I would be spending about 100 hours on it. It's not practical. So what I am trying to learn is how to do things well, but do them quicker and not to get lost in the details.

No comments: