Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Case of the Disappearing Art Students

This has been a very strange season for art students. I started out with four. One when mental on me and I think took a trip to the "funny farm", another cancelled because they decided they really didn't have time for lessons after all, one returned after Christmas, took one lesson, then vanished on vacation and I haven't seen them since. Now I have only one student. I don't know if it is a reflection of the weak economy or what, but lately I have had a lot of difficulty trying to maintain any level of consistency with art students. The $20.00 refundable registration fee is helping a lot and I'm glad I included it. But this student drop out rate is frustrating and maddening. I have decided not to make art lessons a major emphasis. I make very little money doing it anyway. Also, I am finding that I would rather do art shows and work on commissioned portraits than spend my time teaching.

I think that if I do go back to teaching, I am going to approach it entirely different. What I really love to teach is colored pencil & turpenoid. This is an entirely new method of art technique to most people and I am finding a lot of people are interested in learning it. So what I am going to do is have a preset date for one workshop or a series of four, advertise it months in advance, then hopefully I can get at least 4 people to actually commit to the lesson(s). I haven't decided if I want to end or totally change my ad for art lessons in the Treasure Valley Family Magazine.

No comments: