Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Experiments With Paper

I have been experimenting with a few different types of paper to see how colored pencil & Turpenoid work on them. I used cp & Turpenoid on Duralar paper (transparent vellum). It was interesting, but I found I was unable to do much layering on this paper. It just can't take a lot of layering. In order to do a lot of layering, you have to color on the front & back of the paper and/or use another sheet of vellum to add more color and put the two sheets together. It gets too confusing. I like the old method better!

The other type of paper I used was a Canson watercolor paper, Rives paper about 115 wt. It was very odd. I love the texture of this paper because it is soft. But when I tried to layer my colored pencils, the colors come out different. I found that layering one color upon another sometimes made it look muddy or too dark. That doesn't happen with regular watercolor paper. This is a very smooth paper that gives a very soft, fuzzy look, which is nice, but putting Turpenoid over the colored pencil did not always give me the effect I was looking for. I think this paper would be great for watercolor, but not so much for colored pencil.

No comments: