Sunday, December 7, 2008

BSU New Student Orientation


Last Friday I went to the Boise State University Orientation for new students. Above is a photo of my official Boise State Bronco Card. Is this cool or what?! This is just one more step in my quest to become a certified art teacher.

I enjoyed the orientation and found it very helpful. However, it was a bit like a puzzle or a mystery maze that I had to figure out. Several of my classes from previous colleges did not get transferred over and accepted as credit towards my degree. This made it difficult for me to be able to decide which classes I needed to register for. The biggest problem I ran into is when I tried to register for classes, most all the classes were filled or I couldn't find any that were open and that did not interfere with my afternoon part-time job at Hillcrest Elementary School. New students have to wait until they go through orientation to register for classes. Returning students can all register early, leaving next to nothing 0pen for us newbies. It was frustrating to be so close to getting into school at last and yet so far!

Anyway, I got a terrible headache trying to figure everything out and felt sick, so I just went home without being able to register for any classes. I took the advice of another advisor at BSU and called the BSU advisor that handles Art Education degree students and made an appointment with her this week to try and straighten out some of the confusion about the classes that did not show up as being transferrable for credit. I only want one (maybe two)classes in the Spring, but I may have to show up at a class without having registered and attend class until someone drops it and then I can be put in. Trying to find an opening into a class is like trying to get to the best sales on Black Friday. I hope I don't get trampled on like some people at Wal-Mart did!

The other piece of the puzzle that has to fall into place soon is getting the funds for college from Vocational Rehab. I have an appointment December 17th. I was told that this appointment will help to facilitate the funds that I will need, but I don't know exactly when they will come. Do you think I will get lucky and get the funds by January 15th (when college classes have to be paid for)?

Oh well.....The saga continues. If there is one thing I have learned is that rarely does anything come easy that is worth while and you have to be persistent and keep trying. My heart is worth fighting for!

No comments: